First Trophy of the Season


Drybrook won the Forest of Dean Combination Sevens plate competition for the second year in succession when they overcame BerryHill in a one sided final after finding themselves eliminated from the main competition.
Placed in the group of death and with some members of the squad seriously feeling the affects of the previous night’s “Ow Bistival” Music Festival they could have been forgiven for not playing to their potential.
They surprised everyone by being competitive throughout and were it not for 3 yellow cards in the opening 2 games they might have done even better.
First up were Cinderford who squeezed home by 24pts – 15pts (4 tries to 3) with the issue decided when Drybrook were reduced to 6 men following Mitch Renton’s yellow card.
In the next game Drybrook swept into a 10pts – nil lead against Newent but failed to hang onto it after another Renton yellow for a deliberate knock on. Ben George also received a yellow after some ill advised comments to the referee and Newent capitalised to win by 17pts – 10pts.
Drybrook next opponents Westbury were unable to put in a side so it was a long wait before the plate semi-final with Ross.

20160807_164848Man of the tournament for Drybrook was Ben George who displayed some silky skills and showed great pace and determination.

After an hour and a half’s rest Drybrook took to the sun drenched Regentsholme pitch looking refreshed against a Ross team containing 4 ex Drybrook men.
Mitch Baldwin scored 2 quick tries and a conversion to put Drybrook ahead and then Ben George scampered over and added the

conversion for a 19pts – nil interval lead.
Rhys Evans quickly extended Drybrook’s lead with a try and conversion before George completed his hat trick with 2 more tries and 2 conversions to make the final score Drybrook 40pts – Ross nil.

Plate Final – Drybrook 57pts BerryHill nil
Coach Neil Morgan galvanised the side with his team talk before the final obviously sounding more coherent than he did at 11pm on Saturday night. Manager Ben Large also chipped in with some words of wisdom and this seemed to do the trick as they tore into BerryHill from the off.
Ben George was in outstanding form and scored a try hat-trick in the first half as well as converting all 3 and the impressive Rhys Gardner also touched down and added the conversion for a 26pts – nil half time lead.
Drybrook continued to play some lovely rugby in the second half and added further tries through Tom Treherne (2), Danny Price, Mitch Baldwin and Len Mulhane (2).
Treherne, Baldwin and Mulhane all added conversions to complete the scoring.