Veterans tour to Malta – A great success but no trophy to celebrate!

After two solid days of drinking the local lager CISK, which for some acted like paint stripper, Drybrook Vet players took to the field for the first of  four scheduled games. Unfortunately, because of the hardness of the playing surface which crocked four or five players in the first game, only two games were played.

The first game was against a somewhat younger Blackheath Vets side that we have ever encountered before! ( most of their Fathers would of only just qualified).
But having said this we gave it a jolly well good go and seen us go into a resounding early led with some good forward driving up the middle of the park and, considering how fragile we all were, good ball retention which gave Golden Balls Treherne the opportunity to crash over the line.
Soon after was the turn of Clark Posh Elvis Price to show his class and just like his dancing feet the previous evening he cut the defence to shreds to score out wide.
To everyone’s amazement Drybrook turned around at halftime 10 nil up which led to some quick reshuffling by the opposition.
The blazing hot sunshine and hard ground soon took its toll in the second half which saw us lose centre Dave Sick Elvis Thomas with a rib injury, number eight Vic Scary Elvis Jones with a nasty shoulder injury, fullback Graham Happy Elvis Jenkins with another rib injury.
With substitute Jon Golden Elvis Mustoe already on Drybrook borrowed a couple of the Malta Marauders gentlemen, but with this many disruptions it wasn’t long until the young guns from Blackheath found us wanting on the outside and ran in two converted tries to end the short lived celebrations. The game finished Blackheath 14 – Drybrook 10

Second game was a real up hill struggle for Drybrook but after keeping the score to an epic nil nil at half time the loss of yet more personnel  to injury in the second half Richard Big Guns Elvis Probert hamstring, and Clive Short Elvis Boughton back injury.
We now had five Marauders playing for us but this didn’t help us against the eventual tournament victors Les Tubes a Essis (one of the two French sides) who quickly punished us for some rather tired tackling with two unconverted tries to run out 10 – 0 winners.

With everyone dropping like flies in the afternoon heatwave which was upon us, so we put it to a vote and decided to regretful concede defeat and retire from the tournament gracefully.
But it must be said the valiant men who took to the field played their hearts out for the cause and should be congratulated accordingly.

11006400_10153292429366617_5972133134418867162_n 11223494_10153292435356617_3779825584856630748_n 11231035_10153292439806617_5074159526787993293_n
Players: 1. N. Ricketts, 2. C. Boughton (captain 1st game), 3. C. Lancett, 4. D. Brookes, 5. G. Williams, 6. R. Probert, 7. P. Meek, 8. V. Jones, 9. C. Treherne, 10. J. Ryder, 11. D. Marfell, 12. C. Price, 13. D. Thomas, 14. K. Wynn, 15. G. Jenkins.
Substitute:  J. Mustoe
Manager: C. Tingle. Photographers: G. Tingle and P. Lydiard
Non Playing Touists: G. Payne, S. Moore, C. Marsh, S. Gwilliam.
A special mention should go to Neill French Elvis Ricketts for his kind sponsorship of the tour shirts.